I was sitting in the delivery room with my wife early on the morning of April 28th, and we turned on the TV to pass a little time. Flipping over to the news, we saw video of a mile-wide tornado riping through Alabama. It was part of what’s been termed the 2011 Super Outbreak (Source: Wikipedia, April 25–28, 2011 tornado outbreak). Our hearts broke for the victims of such a devastating storm as we were about to welcome a new life into the world.
And more recently there was the tornado that demolished a large portion of Joplin, MO. Statistics aside, these storms brought devastation that’s not only hard to explain, but hard to even imagine.
One organization that’s been on the front lines providing relief is World Vision. I had the pleasure of talking with Romanita Hairston, VP of World Vision’s U.S. Programs about what they’re doing and how people can help. I asked questions like…
- What’s the situation like on the ground in Alabama and Joplin today?
- How is World Vision helping, and what’s the local church’s role in the recovery efforts?
- How can people help financially or otherwise?
- What stories of hope are coming out of this disaster?
If you’d like to help, you can text ‘TORNADO’ to ‘20222’ to give a $10 donation, or donate some other amount online at the World Vision website.
Or if you would like to continue to tell the stories (and testimonies) of tornado victims, then let me know if you need help connecting with people on the ground in these areas. I’d love to help others tell the stories that will keep the relief and rebuilding efforts at the forefront of all of our minds.
Or if you have a prayer that you’d like to offer on behalf of the victims, please feel free to do so in the comments below.
I’m moved by the hope that rises from the destruction, and pray that new life rises in these tornado ravaged communities. And I pray that all of us can be a part of the stories of hope that come out of it in some way.
Read this post over at the World Vision Blog.
Latest posts by Dan King (see all)
- what’s the deal with the faith at work movement? - October 23, 2014
- that time my son reminded me how God is in control - August 31, 2014
- 3 lessons from a year of activist faith - July 14, 2014