You are reading the Human Trafficking Series. Read more from this series of articles.
- protecting the least of these [a series on #humantrafficking]
- in our backyard [an interview with @nitabelles on #humantrafficking]
- there's still work to do [thoughts on the 2011 TIP and #humantrafficking]
- movie review: the whistleblower [#humantrafficking]
- come alive: an excerpt [@eloranicole on #humantrafficking]
- something to remember [#humantrafficking]
- freeing the captives [guest post from kathi macias]
- book review: deliver me from evil
- how your shopping can help stop #humantrafficking
- Prevent vulnerability
- Protect survivors
- Prosecute human traffickers
Thanks to this law and great advocacy work being done nationwide, the issue of human trafficking is becoming less hidden. As more people become aware of modern-day slavery occurrences, more offenders are caught and prosecuted. More victims are rescued. More lives are changed.
Sounds great right?
It is. But there’s a catch. The current law is set to expire on September 30. Yup – that’s right – in just 10 days. Unless Congress enacts a new law before then, all the work that is being done to eradicate modern-day slavery will be stunted. All the work that’s already been done will be for nothing.
As of right now, the legislation is still in Committee in both the House and the Senate. But you can help! Take a moment to review the contact your representatives and ask them to support it.and then
You may be thinking to yourself, “Well, Congress is a little busy right now. I really hate to bother them with this.” In all honesty – isn’t this piece of legislation more important than anything else Congress is doing right now? This piece of legislation is all about saving lives.
Over the next few weeks, we’ll be exploring the issue of human trafficking and modern-day slavery a little more. We have lots of exciting posts planned for you including:
- A personal reflection on the 2011 Trafficking in Persons Report
- An exclusive interview with Nita Belles, author of In Our Backyard
- Thoughts on Not in My Town by Dillon Burroughs and Charles Powell
- A review of controversial film The Whistleblower
- Thoughts on how you can help stop human trafficking
- And more…
Do you have a story to share about human trafficking or modern-day slavery? Have you had an experience that has really opened your eyes to the issues of human trafficking and modern-day slavery? Please share your thoughts in the comments, or let me know if you’d like to write aabout your experiences.
SUBSCRIBE AND DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK NOW!
Register for your free copy of the e-book Which is the Best Bible Translation? now, and join over 1,500 people who enjoy BibleDude.net being delivered directly to their inbox!