Why? WHY? Why-why-why?!
I want to know, too. So I take out my little green marker and highlight anything I see that answers the question, “Why?”
Reasons. Purposes. Motives.
Then I put on my magic eyeglasses which allow me to see just the green stuff.
“These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”
“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.”
“…Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.”
I’ve been doing this so long that even when I’m reading the Bible without any colored ink in my eager little hands, I see the green. I read a chapter or two or three, and they stand out: reasons, purposes, motives.
For example, over the years I’ve noticed verses that reveal the reasons Jesus came to earth. Lots of different reasons. So I started collecting them like an avid philatelist collects stamps.
My “Why Jesus Came” collection:
- to serve (Mt 20:28)
- to give His life a ransom for many (Mt 20:28)
- to preach in other towns, too (Mk 1:38, Lk 4:43)
- to call sinners (Mk 2:17)
- to do God’s will (Jn 6:38)
- to save His people from their sins (Mt 1:21)
- to be the Savior of the world (1 Jn 4:14)
- to die (Jn 12:27)
- to save the world (Jn 12:47)
- that the world might be saved through Him (Jn 3:17)
- to destroy the devil’s works (1 Jn 3:8)
- to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind (Jn 9:39)
- to bear witness to the truth (Jn 18:37)
- to save sinners (1 Tm 1:15)
- to seek and save the lost (Lk 19:10)
You know what I think is the most exciting, the most thrilling part of all this?
It can reveal God’s heart.
If you’ve ever wondered what motivates God, if you’ve ever wanted to know the reasons behind the movements of His hand, if you’ve ever asked, Why, God? Why?!…
Then look for the green.
In the green, I see God’s heart—His very desires. In the green, I can hear His heartbeat. And my own heart begins to beat in time with His.
Here’s one of my favorite discoveries from using my little green marker:
God wants to be with me!
“If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.”
“I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;”
And He appointed twelve, so that they would be with Him…
Want to try it? The next time you spend time with God in His Word, be on the lookout for phrases that answer the question “why” (reasons, purposes, motives).
And then, let me know what you discover. I’d love to hear about it.
Latest posts by MonicaSharman (see all)
- ephesians 2:11-22: one in Christ - January 21, 2013
- still learning love - January 9, 2013
- growing the “Christmas spirit” into all-the-time lifestyle - December 11, 2012
SUBSCRIBE AND DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE E-BOOK NOW!
Register for your free copy of the e-book Which is the Best Bible Translation? now, and join over 1,500 people who enjoy BibleDude.net being delivered directly to their inbox!